Municipal health service (GGD)
Does your child go to a daycare center or after school care? Then you can expect the care to take place in a safe and healthy environment. And that the stay contributes to the development of your child. Every daycare center or aftre school care in the Netherlands must meet legal quality requirements. The GGD childcare inspector checks whether the daycare / after-school care adheres to these requirements.
Quality requirements for childcare
Every daycare / after-school care must meet statutory quality requirements in the field of:
- Parent involvement and participation;
- Expertise staff;
- Safety and Health;
- Accommodation and equipment;
- Group size and the number of children per pedagogical employee;
- Educational policy and practice;
- Dealing with complaints.
What can you expect from the GGD inspector
The GGD childcare inspector visits the daycare centers / after-school care every year to check whether it meets the national quality requirements:
- The design and use of all areas where children can come;
- Observations; how are children treated, including as a result of the pedagogical policy plan;
- Discussions with the teachers about their method;
- A conversation with the person in charge of the location about the method of daycare / after-school care;
- Written or personal contact with the parent committee.
The inspector also checks whether all professionals are qualified and have a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG).
The role of the municipality?
The GGD inspections are carried out on behalf of the municipality. It is the municipality that – in consultation with the inspector – determines whether and, if so, which sanctions are imposed on a daycare / after-school care that does not meet the quality requirements.
The GGD inspector prepares an inspection report after the visit. This is sent to both the organization and the municipality. Parents also have the right to view this report; it should be available for perusal at daycare centers. You can find the reports of the locations of Kindercentrum WereldKids on our website at the location pages. They are all in Dutch.